Monday, January 27, 2020

Lexi's letter to Dad

Where are you?  You left in such a hurry this time and it has been too long.  Just like before you packed two of the bigger bags and this time you took along all mom's medicines.  I saw you put those canvas bags into the car, but this time it was different.  You did not take the machine mom uses every night to stay alive - did you forget it?  How will she survive?  What is going on? I don't understand.  Don't get me wrong, Mrs. O is doing a great job.  She keeps our food bowls full and water bowls clean.  We still go to the dog park every day and our routine has not changed, but you are missing and I am starting to worry.  It's been too many moons.

I know mom is sick and you had to leave to take care of her,  But why couldn't I go this time?  I'd be a good girl.  You need me to protect you from strangers and bumps in the night.  I would just lay in the corner and be quiet while you help her get better.  I'd do my part too and come close to her when she needs reassurance - just like I always do.   I try to help when I can.  I don't understand everything but I sense things you don't.  Like when mom is suffering and hurting, when she can't sleep I stay awake with her at night.  Sometimes she just likes me to lay with her just to give comfort and affection - I am really good at that.  It's been too many moons.

My nights are long and restless.  You usually come home from long trips at night so I stay awake waiting for you.  Evenings seem to last forever.  I keep watch as the moon passes and until the sun comes up.  I listen for your car or the garage door opening.  Yes, cars pass by, but they are not you.  What is going on and how can I help?  I know you need me there, but you had to leave me behind.  I know this is really important stuff because you would not have left in such a hurry. Did you even have time to say goodbye?  It's been too many moons.

My sister Stella misses you too, but she is young and doesn't understand like I do.  She just thinks you are on another vacation.  Stella says you are just fine and sipping margaritas on some beach in Mexico.  She sees my worry and tries to reassure me.  "They are fine" she barks, "let's go play and forget about it."  So I go play, but I still think about why this time was so different and worry something terrible has happened.  It's been too many moons.

Every night I go outside and climb high on the rooftop patio.  I raise my nose high into the heavens and breathe in the night air until my lungs are bursting with scents.  I fill my olfactory bulb with every molecule I can looking for that needle in a haystack.  Like my ancestors have for millions of years I carefully scan for you.  I search the sky for that canine sense of danger just in case it is lurking beyond your doorstep.  I sniff for any trace of you.  Every one of my scent receptors work overtime hoping to catch the smallest whiff of your bouquet.  But you are too far away - there's nothing left and I miss you.  It's been too many moons.

Don't worry.  I am fine.  I will loyally protect the home while you are gone.  I will take care of Mrs. O and my sister.  I know you are taking care of mom.  This is important work - something you have to do.  Just come home soon.  It's been too many moons.

2 comments: